Pro Tools forum for topics specifically related to Pro Tools 12 software, including tips, tricks, troubleshooting, and general discussions.

Moderators: pettje, PTUG FaceBot, RA Rayne

#1776  by PTUG FaceBot
 Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:07 am
I desperately need help.

I have just sent avid the message below and am awaiting a response but I thought it can't hurt to try the users group for answers in the interim.

Since the installation of protools 12 and continuing through all subsequent updates (to 12.8.2.106), I am experiencing a horrific cpu spike bug that has just about completely disabled my ability to use protools for anything - Mixing, Production or Recording.

Regardless of how few tracks I have active, what sample rate or bit depth I use or what cpu buffer size or cache setting I attempt activating to combat the problem it never ceases. Every 30 seconds or so, even with my sessions open but not playing, protools system usage goes through the roof and I receive a prompt with error (AAE-6101).
(Please see photos included in this thread that illustrate this - A PT session containing 3 audio tracks and no other plugins that is pushing CPU over 100% when it is not even playing)

It appears to me something drastically cpu intensive is being performed in the background that is all consuming of my cpu regardless of how I set up or manage my sessions.

I have tried to solve the issue by consulting information on the Avid Pro Audio Community forum from other users experiencing the same problem but have found no fixes.

I run no programs concurrently with my protools sessions, I have removed all audio drives and protools related files from spotlight indexing but nothing brings relief and I am now completely lost for what to do. Please help me, I absolutely love protools and have been an avid user for the last fifteen years, but for the first time now in this helpless frustration I am considering moving to a new DAW.

My system specs are as follows:

Macbook Pro 2016 - OS Sierra 10.12.6
2,6 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3

Protools 2.8.2.106

UAD Apollo Twin Duo - console version 9.1.0

I look forward to hearing back from you with any suggestions. Thank you for your time.

Warm Regards,
Etienne

Posted on PTUG's FaceBook page by Etienne Desfontaines Oct 24