Sometimes Free Advice is Actually Free!

Moderators: pettje, PTUG FaceBot, RA Rayne

#910  by RoundTableModerator
 Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:11 pm
Posted from Pro Tools Round Table Tour at CalArts on Jan. 30th 2014

If you could tell this group of students the one, single secret that would start their careers off on the right foot, what would that be?
 #922  by GaryLux
 Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:49 pm
There isn’t one thing about anything, I think if you’ve gone through a program like this and you come out the back end and you still want to do this and you want to put in the time, I for sure will extend myself out there to anyone here who wants to contact me about anything. If you want to smoke your final come one over we’ll mix it together, if you get a B I’ll be really upset. You know you have to reach out, it’s a tough business now, a lot of music is being produced, how’s it being done? How’s it getting out there? It’s a mystery to us, we’re always reinventing ourselves and finding new ways, there isn’t one thing there’s 101 million things.
 #923  by frankwolf
 Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:50 pm
Say yes to everything, whether you think you can do it or not just say yes. You’ll figure out a way to do it. One thing that you might never expect could turn into something huge. You never know, so just take it all. The other thing is, at least for myself I always try to keep an open mind to new things, I have learned things from interns to brand new assistants saying Hey I heard about this plug in or that microphone, there’s always something to learn.
 #929  by MickGuz
 Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:58 pm
I agree with all that, I’d like to add that I think practicing is really important, and working in the studio as an intern or an assistant, listen to what’s being done as far as projects there, what the techniques are and get some time in there or with your own pro tool or work station just really practice so that you are able to achieve the sound you imagined with something.
 #1089  by Tim
 Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:57 am
frankwolf wrote:The other thing is, at least for myself I always try to keep an open mind to new things.

Frank, that's an impressive list of projects you've been involved with. Out of curiosity, what/when was the first film/TV project you used Pro Tools for?
 #1674  by RobertMoon1211
 Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:52 am
Great tips indeed was really looking for something like this, this thread has really helped me a out in understanding what I need to do and what I need to ignore to kick off a successful career.