Pro Tools forum for topics specifically related to Pro Tools 9 software, including tips, tricks, troubleshooting, and general discussions.

Moderators: pettje, PTUG FaceBot, RA Rayne

#1308  by TheRookie
 Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:41 pm
So I had a simple set up Control 24 PTHD9 192 i/o full. Then I had the bright idea to try to record bands. So I got another 192 i/o full because I needed another 8 ad card and I got a Digidesign 64 bit expansion chassis with NO knowledge of how to use it or hook it up, or really what it does besides hold the core and 2 accel cards. So I'm really lost. Someone save me :(, and I'm self taught with no engineer buddies so this is why im in this position. My intensions are better than my know how. Sorry
 #1312  by pettje
 Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:44 am
In a nutshell, Chasis host card goes inside your computer and connects the chassis to the computer. HD Core card connects to the 192 i/o via digilink cable. C24 console connects to your computer through ethernet cable. C24 mic pre outputs connect to your 192 input card via a DSub to DSub cable. 192 i/o output card connects to C24 "protools in" for monitoring purposes and your C24 "control room out" connects to your speakers.
Hope that makes sense. Let me know if you have any further questions.
 #1313  by TheRookie
 Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:38 am
pettje wrote:In a nutshell, Chasis host card goes inside your computer and connects the chassis to the computer. HD Core card connects to the 192 i/o via digilink cable. C24 console connects to your computer through ethernet cable. C24 mic pre outputs connect to your 192 input card via a DSub to DSub cable. 192 i/o output card connects to C24 "protools in" for monitoring purposes and your C24 "control room out" connects to your speakers.
Hope that makes sense. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Yes. I have it hooked up I guess I should be more clear. My fault, just overwhelmed. I would like to know what I need specifically to make the Digidesign 64 bit Expansion Chassis work. Name or number of the host card and any adapters as I can't find any on eBay to order. Also I have 2 192i/o's looped that are both identical full versions, but I can not get the a/d 9-16 to show in my system. They each have the a/d card in port one. Do I switch ports on one, put both in the master 192, is one of the cards bad? I tried to pull it up in setup> peripherals and setup>I/O but no matter how I change the setting I can't read it. Also thank you for taking the time to help me. I really appreciate it. You were the only one who spoke up. Thank you.
 #1329  by pettje
 Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:43 pm
So you're chasis didn't come with a host card? Is your chassis not a magma? Are your card PCIe or PCIx? From your post it sounds like you have protools working without the chassis.
Regarding your 192 i/os. You'll need to change inputs 9-16 to analog in your i/o set up or hardware settings. By default they are set to digital.
 #1337  by TheRookie
 Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:54 am
No, it is a Digidesign 64 bit expansion chassis. I bought it used, no host card. 7 slot. Also I tried to change it in set up but the option still says anolog 1-8, not 9-16.
 #1338  by TheRookie
 Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:59 am
And it's pcix. I now have 2 192 I/o's and I just ordered another one because I think I might need it for the HDIII. I now have a core card and 2 Accel cards. What is the purpose of multiple I/O's if I don't have to have 3 to run 3 cards? I'd rather just use the 2 to run the 3 cards if possible. But I couldn't find out the setup on digi's instructions for that specific setup.
 #1339  by TheRookie
 Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:00 am
pettje wrote:So you're chasis didn't come with a host card? Is your chassis not a magma? Are your card PCIe or PCIx? From your post it sounds like you have protools working without the chassis.
Regarding your 192 i/os. You'll need to change inputs 9-16 to analog in your i/o set up or hardware settings. By default they are set to digital.

Sorry, forgot to quote you so you see me reply above.
 #1340  by pettje
 Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:09 am
If my memory serves me well, the digidesign 64 bit expansion chassis might be the same as a magma P7R4 or an earlier model, so you're best in contacting Magma directly and get a card ordered from them. What computer do you have? Depending on your computer model the chassis may not work at all though.
You don't need 3 192 i/os to run an HD3 system, the minimum to run any HD system is 1 192 i/o. If the second AD card in your 192 i/o doesn't show up, chances are it is not connected properly inside the 192 i/o or it's just a bad AD card.
 #1348  by Tetsuyama511
 Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:45 am
Concur with pettje's recent post...power down and unplug the 192 I/O in question and open it up by removing the top cover, 16 small machine screws' worth...check to see if the card's multi-pin connector is correctly connected to the 2-inch-wide multi-pin cable to the 192 I/O and seated correctly....
Cheers,
JD
 #1351  by TheRookie
 Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:40 pm
Tetsuyama511 wrote:Concur with pettje's recent post...power down and unplug the 192 I/O in question and open it up by removing the top cover, 16 small machine screws' worth...check to see if the card's multi-pin connector is correctly connected to the 2-inch-wide multi-pin cable to the 192 I/O and seated correctly....
Cheers,
JD

I'm not using the Chassis at the moment but I looked it up and it's compatible. The Magma 7 slot isn't but the Digidesign is, even though they are both made by Magma lol. I'm using a custom built server rack. 16gb ram, 1.5 TB hard drive, 1.5 TB back up, and a 6 core processor. Using Windows 7 service pack 2. Had this thing built in 2011 and its still pretty beefy even for today lol