Pro Tools forum for topics specifically related to Pro Tools 9 software, including tips, tricks, troubleshooting, and general discussions.

Moderators: pettje, PTUG FaceBot, RA Rayne

#63  by Legacy History Robot
 Fri May 17, 2013 4:33 pm
Hi!
I have bought ProTools 9 and installed it on my Windows 7. I had some issues with plugins being unstable, and I decided that it's because I have a 32-bit Windows, and 32-bit Windows doesn't see more than 3 Gb of RAM. So I installed a 64-bit Windows, but my ProTools is still 32-bit! And it means that Windows still won't give more than 3 Gb of RAM to ProTools. When I bought a PT9 license, on the Avid Store site I got the list of links where I could download PT, it had an installer and updater for Win7 and an installer and updater for Mac. So, only one installer for Win, and it turned out to be 32-bit. So does a 64-bit ProTools for Windows exist at all? If it does, how can I get it? Is ProTools for Windows only 32-bit and for Mac - 64 bit? If so, why so unfair? =) The funniest thing is - I can't even write all these questions to the Avid guys themselves, because, as far as I understand, I can't contact their support without buying some support codes or something like that, which is weird, cause I have purchased and properly registerd their product, they have sent me a free upgrade to ProTools 10, but free support - NOOOO!

Originally posted by Tjalvi - Dec 2011
 #66  by Legacy History Robot
 Fri May 17, 2013 4:34 pm
Late reply but PT10 is only 32 bit for both Windoze and Mac. Reasons for that are: RTAS only works in 32 bit and the TDM cards don't have the hardware resources to run 64 bit. PT11 is going to be 64 bit. If you need DSP cards then you'll also be needing the HDX cards to replace any TDM cards. Currently the HDX and HD Native (do DSP but runs HD software) cards are only available with an Avid interface with the Digilink connector.

Originally posted by musicman691 - Sep 2012
 #1287  by Tetsuyama511
 Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:05 pm
Windows 7 CAN operate using 64-bit. I'm up PT9.02-point something HD Accell-2, using a Sweetwater Creation Station PC knowing full well that PT would eventually go 64-bit, so, when I upgraded to PT8 HD from PT 7. LE, I got somewhat of a 'head start' by having the computer maker partition my OS HDD for both 32 and 64-bit... This might be old news by now...
 #1290  by pettje
 Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:17 pm
Protools 11 is 64 bit, protools 10 and lower is not. No matter if you're OS is 64 bit, protools 9 will still operate as a 32 bit application. Hope that answers your question